BDS is one of the most well-known and recognised dental degrees in India. The BDS (Bachelor of Dental Surgery) is India’s sole dental surgery educational and professional program. The Bachelor of Dental Surgery degree is awarded after successful completion of a four-year academic program and a one-year mandatory internship program in dentistry education.
BDS is students’ second choice in the medical educational area after the MBBS course. Dentures, oral issues, and surgery are all taught to the pupils. Following completion of this course, there are several job options in the hospital, pharmaceutical, and medical device manufacturing industries.
This subject is presently in high demand among students entering the medical industry after completing their 12th grade.
Eligibility for BDS
- The applicant must be an Indian National, a Non-Resident Indian (NRI), an Overseas Citizen of India (OCI), or a Person of Indian Origin (PIO).
- The Candidate was 17 years old at the time of admission or will be 17 years old on or before December 31st of the year of admission to the first year of Undergraduate Medical Courses.
- The maximum age restriction for NEET (UG) is 25 years as of the examination date, with 5-year age relaxation for SC/ST/OBC-NCL applicants and PwD students.
- At the time of admission, the candidate must be medically fit and provide a certificate of medical fitness.
- Candidates from the OPEN and EWS categories must obtain at least 50 percentile marks in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology (PCB) combined in the NEET UG Exam.
- A candidate belonging to a constitutional reservation, save EWS, and a constitutional reservation with a Person with a Disability claim, must obtain at least 40% marks in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology (PCB) combined in the NEET UG Exam.
- Persons with disabilities in the General category must obtain at least 45 percentile marks in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology (PCB) taken combined in the NEET UG test or as determined by the respective central council from time to time.
|1.||General Anatomy including Embryology and Histology|
|2.||General Human Physiology and Biochemistry|
|3.||Dental Anatomy, Embryology and Oral Histology|
|1.||General Pathology and Microbiology|
|2.||General and Dental Pharmacology and Therapeutics|
|4.||Pre-Clinical Conservative Dentistry|
|5.||Pre-Clinical Prosthodontics & Crown & Bridge|
|3.||Oral Pathology and Oral Microbiology|
|1.||Oral Medicine and Radiology|
|2.||Paediatric and Preventive Dentistry|
|3.||Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopaedics|
|5.||Prosthodontics and Crown and Bridge|
|6.||Conservative Dentistry and Endodontics|
|7.||Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery|
|8.||Public Health Dentistry|
BDS Rotatory Internship
After completing academic exams, students have to do a compulsory rotatory internship in hospitals in different departments to gain practical knowledge and hands-on experience on how to deal with patients and their issues. Following given is the period that students need to spend in each department:
|Department||Period of Posting|
|Prosthodontics||1 and a half Month|
|Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery||1 and a half Month|
|Oral Medicine & Radiology||1 Month|
|Conservative Dentist||1 Month|
|Oral Pathology & Microbiology||15 days|
|Community Dentist/Rural Service||3 Months|
BDS Employment Areas:
- Dental Clinics
- Dental Equipment Manufacturers
- Dental Products Manufacturers
- Educational Institutes
- Pharmaceutical Companies
- Private Practice
- Research Institutes
BDS Job Opportunities:
- Dental Hygienist
- Dental Assistant
- Public Health Specialist
- Oral Pathologist
- Dental Surgeon
- Medical Representative/Sales Representative
- Dental Lab Technician/Ceramist
- Private Practitioner
Post Graduation after BDS:
For reference, listed below are all the Medical PG Courses, that a student can choose after BDS course completion.
|Sr.No||Master of Dental Surgery|
|1||MDS (Community Dentistry)|
|2||MDS (Conservative Dentistry)|
|3||MDS (Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery)|
|4||MDS (Oral Medicine & Radiology)|
|5||MDS (Oral Pathology & Microbiology)|
You can apply for BDS course by using the ‘Apply Now’ mentioned below.